Wednesday, May 25, 2011

A Morning in the Museum

While visiting the Capitoline Museum, I came across a sculpture that caught my attention. At First I wasn’t sure what I was seeing but once I looked hard enough I began to put together what it was. That plus I looked at the name of the sculpture. It was simply named Musa, which I believe is Italian for muse.

The statue was fully intact with all of its pieces there except for its index finger on her right hand. There stood a female upright. She was leaning partially on her left side so her weight was shifted a bit. The muse remains fully clothed, and has a small tiara on her head. Her outfit seems reminiscent of a toga with a long scarf or shawl. Part of her clothing appears rather thin and may have been designed by the artist to portray a rather sheer aspect to it. Her arms are placed at her side, but she is holding them forward a bit with two items in her hands. In her left hand, she holds what initially looks like a face. Upon closer inspection I noticed that what she is holding is actual a mask that symbolizes theatre/actresses. In her right hand she holds what I think is a flute. Her hair isn’t very long and comes down just to the tip of her shoulders. She stands there presenting music and theater, with an oddly emotionless face. Defiantly one of the cool things I saw today J

2 comments:

  1. Jovany,

    I admire the exactness of your description of the muse, from which I derive an accurate picture. I believe I could pick this statue out on my next visit to the museum.

    I don't believe, however, that your first paragraph is needed. It's too much about you and it reminds me that I'm reading about a statue, when I really want to be reading about the person being depicted. The ending, too, is jarring: "Defiantly one of the cool things I saw today" breaks the illusion. I like how you draw a contrast between her rather emotionless face and the emotion inherent in her arts. A slightly retooled version of this might be the way to end: "Her face is emotionless. This is odd, given that she embodies music and theater." Something like that -- I hope I'm being clear.

    Finally, watch out for typos: Instead of "defiantly" you mean "definitely," for example. And, though this is the internet, no emoticons, please. ;)

    ReplyDelete