Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Space and Place: Forum Romanum

Being in the Forum Romanum today brought this experience to life. When first entering the forum, I didn’t initially know what I was looking at or where in the forum I was. I walked around alone for a bit and I recognized the Curia Julia from a far and saw the arch of Titus in the background. On my way back, I saw the remains of the Temple of Vesta and got to see for the first time the scale of it. It was a cool moment for me because when studying for the midterm, the temple was my assigned structure.

Once Dan gave us the official tour I began to notice the paths that would connect the buildings/structures. In my head an outline of where ancient Romans would have walked started to form. One end started very politically and grand with the Curia Julia and Temple of Saturn on one end. As we head down the paths we came to the Basilica Julia. In this portion of the forum, the structures began to take a more religious tone, as the next temple remains were for that of the Temple of Vesta. The tour eventually ended at the Arch of Titus, which I saw as a way of the ancients reaffirming their legacy and victories in battles.

I saw the Forum as being designed rather chaotically but in a way strategically. Most of the buildings were organized around buildings of similar functions. This created sections or areas for the early Romans to go within the forum. Overall I felt like an outsider in the forum, because although I was in it, I couldn’t really see it. The way it used to look, and the way the people navigated it, can only be imagined by me, so it doesn’t really feel as though I belong. I don’t think I felt like a stranger because I am familiar with the structures there but for the most part I knew I didn’t fit.

2 comments:

  1. Jovany,

    I like this entry for its thoughtfulness: even in a small space you manage to capture the nuances of being a modern tourist with ancient knowledge in the modern archaeological park of the ancient Forum. That's a tricky balancing act.

    Next time you write a Space and Place entry (in the Vatican Museums), try putting it in the present tense. This move will help you get to the next level. Right now the exercise reads more like a diary, which is not a bad thing, given the work that it does. Pick a point A and move to point B and describe the journey, and see if you can bring that retrospective thoughtfulness to bear on constructing a current moment.

    ReplyDelete